Friday, August 16, 2013

Like No Place in Earth

 I was born and raised in Wyoming so I thought I would share some wonderful things about this westward state. Wyoming is known for many things, like its great outdoor recreation, majestic mountains, prehistoric and historic state parks, national forests, oil and coal, wool, historic outlaws, cowboys and Native Americans, dude ranches, and its abundance of wildlife.
Grand Tetons in the background
Ever hear of the Grand Tetons? Well they are one of the most beautiful mountains in the state. They are the second highest peak in Wyoming and they are located in the Northwest. It is a classic destination scene for visitors and for mountaineering. Many people visit Jackson Hole, WY. It is located in the Valley of the Grand Tetons and it is the states largest town. It is also where all of the tourists come to visit. It is close to Yellowstone National Park and it has several ski resorts surrounding the area. I grew up in a small town called Rock Springs. It is not very far from Jackson Hole and Yellowstone so I had the privilege of visiting these places often.

Wyoming has so much history. Here are some fun facts to get you a little familiar about this state.
  • Native American tribes that live or lived in WY were Cheyenne, Crow, Shoshone, Sioux, and Ute
  • A white fur-trapper man was known to explore the land first and discovered its hot springs and geysers
  • In 1872 Yellowstone was designated the first National Park in the nation
  • In 1906 Devils Tower was designated the first National Monument by President Theodore Roosevelt
  • First state to give women the right to vote
  • First in the nation to appoint a woman governor
  • Has the largest coal mine in the USA and produces 3 million tons a week
  • The first JCPenny stores were started in WY
  • In 1834 the first trading post was pioneered
  • It is the 9th largest state, with the lowest population 
  • The word "Dude" originated from the first dude ranch in WY
  • A town called Kemmerer is known as the "Fossil Fish Capitol" of the world
  • The state is second in the production of wool
  • Has over 2000 miles of snowmobile trails
  • There are more than 600 different species of wildlife in WY 
Information taken from Wyoming Facts



5 comments:

  1. First of all, those mountains are GORGEOUS!!! I love how no matter what picture you are taking you have the perfect backdrop! I would love to go snowmobiling on all of those trails, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! I wish I took all of those pictures! They are just some that I found on the internet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Wyoming and was quite impressed with the beautiful landscapes and natural phenoms to look at. I thought that Yellowstone was amazing along with the geysers and such. I also saw Devil's Tower and was amazed by the story of it. Wyoming is a huge state too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, the pictures you posted are amazing and I'd love to hop on a plane and come visit. As you can imagine, Wyoming is very different from my home on Cape Cod. I had not heard of the Grand Tetons, but would make that a destination to see. Think of all of the places you have traveled to, yet your home state is pretty wonderful and full of history, too. Thanks for the fun facts!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each week when I look at your blog I want to visit a new place!! The pictures are so extremely breathtaking!!! I would have never thought that Wyoming would be on my must visit list, but if I want to see such sights, I must hop on a plane! Wyoming is so different from Georgia! I wish I could see such beautiful sites in my home state! ( Even though there are some pretty places here!)

    ReplyDelete