Friday, August 9, 2013

Everythings Bigger in Texas


Moving to Texas was a huge step for me. I grew up in Wyoming and pretty much stayed in WY my whole life. My pilot asked if I would be willing to move to Texas and I thought, well, why not? In the summer of 2012 we moved to Abilene. There is a base called Dyess Air Force Base here and that is where my pilot is stationed. Abilene is close to the north central part of Texas.

It is a different culture down here in the Lone Star State. I learned quickly when my son began playing football that football was the "sport of all sports" here. They take football seriously, and not just with the professionals. Texas is known for lots of things. Here JUST are a few things this state is recognized for:
  • The size, it is the second largest state
  • Dallas Cowboys NFL
  • Real Cowboys
  • Texas Longhorns NCAA
  • Longhorn cattle
  • The Alamo
  • Tornados
  • George W. Bush 
  • Oil
  • BBQ
  • Whataburger
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Willie Nelson
  • Johnny Mathis
  • Austin City Limits
  • Texas Rangers Baseball
  • Real Texas Rangers
  • Texas High School Football
Being the only state to have once been its own country (hence, the Lone Star State nickname)

I really have liked the weather here. It doesn't have the four seasons like I am used to, but it gets pretty hot in the summers and it can actually can get very chilly in the winter. I have enjoyed learning about this new state and visiting other cities in Texas. Come on down to the Lone Star State and get some Texas culture!




3 comments:

  1. There is so much that Texas is known for! I can relate with not really having four seasons, I'm from Georgia and we have hot and cold (well mild to you, because you are from WY!). There is really no in between, unless of course it's an off year like we are having. I kind of feel like Texas and Georgia are a little similar. I feel like Georgia is it's own world sometimes and it definitely has it's own culture. I hope you are learning to love some good ol fashion southern home cookin and BBQ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Texas, but it is a state I would definitely like to see. Especially from what I have heard regarding the food there! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Texas but it is on my list of places to go. I can't imagine that the winters get that cold though. LOL I don't know if I would be able to handle not having the four seasons and the summers being that HOT! Good luck! I hope you enjoy all the things that Texas has to offer.

    ReplyDelete